The US Department of Education groups all occupations into 16 career clusters:
- Agriculture, Food & Natural Resources: The production, processing, marketing, distribution, financing and development of agricultural commodities and resources. These include food, fiber, wood products, natural resources, horticulture and other
plant and animal products/resources.
- Architecture & Construction: Careers in designing, planning, managing, building and maintaining the built environment.
- Arts, A/V Technology & Communications: Designing, producing, exhibiting, performing, writing and
publishing multimedia content. These include visual and performing arts and
design, journalism and entertainment services.
- Business, Management & Administration: Planning, organizing, directing and evaluating business
functions essential to efficient and productive business operations.
Business Management and Administration career opportunities are
available in every sector of the economy.
- Education & Training: Planning, managing and providing education and training services, and related learning support services.
- Finance: Planning, services for financial and investment planning, banking, insurance and business financial management.
- Government & Public Administration: Executing governmental functions to include governance, national security, foreign service, planning, revenue and taxation, regulation and management and administration at the local, state and
- Health Science: Planning, managing and providing therapeutic services,
diagnostic services, health informatics, support services and
biotechnology research and development.
National Consortium on Health Science and Technology Education is a
national partnership of individuals and organizations with a vested
interest in health science and technology education.
- Hospitality & Tourism: Management, marketing and operations of restaurants and other
foodservices, lodging, attractions, recreation events and travel-related
- Human Services: Preparing individuals for employment in career pathways that relate to families and human needs.
- Information Technology: Design, development, support and management of hardware,
software, multimedia and systems integration services.
Educators' Website For Information Technology - A Community of
Education and Business Partners Reinventing IT Education for Learning
- Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security: Planning, managing, and providing legal, public safety,
protective services and homeland security, including professional and
technical support services.
- Manufacturing: Planning, managing and performing the processing of materials
into intermediate or final products and related professional and
technical support activities such as production planning and control,
maintenance and manufacturing/process engineering.
Building Linkages for Manufacturing Occupations - Building Linkages
Among Academic and Skill Standards for Manufacturing Occupations
- Marketing, Sales & Services: Planning, managing and performing marketing activities to reach organizational objectives.
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics: Planning, managing and providing scientific research and
professional and technical services (e.g., physical science, social
science, engineering) including laboratory and testing services and
research and development services.
- Transportation Distribution & Logistics: Planning, management, and movement of people, materials and
goods by road, pipeline, air, rail and water. Related professional
and technical support services such as transportation infrastructure
planning and management, logistics services, mobile equipment and