Alternative Counseling Education (ACE) program
The Alternative Counseling Education program (ACE) is a board approved alternative for long-term suspensions for students who violate Board Policy 6410, the Code of Student Conduct, Rule L3-1.
“When a first infraction of this policy involves only possession, conspiracy to possess, use, and/or being under the influence of a substance prohibited by this policy, an alternative to long-term suspension shall be offered. Failure to meet any requirements of the alternative program reactivates the long-term suspension.”
“Note: The alternative shall consist of a short-term suspension and shall also require participation in a corrective education and/or counseling program. The program shall be designed by the superintendent and agreed to in writing by the parent, guardian, student, and school principal. Parents, guardians, and students shall be provided information by school authorities concerning approved alternative programs. This alternative shall be offered only one (1) time to students during their school career unless an exception is made by the superintendent based on mitigating factors.”
Pre-Approved ACE Providers
- Southlight Pathways (919-744-0061) - 3125 Poplarwood Ct., Suite 150, Raleigh, NC 27604
- First Steps Services (919-833-8899) - 211 E. Six Forks Rd, Raleigh, NC 27609
- Mind Over Matter Counseling (919-741-2349) - 1008-D Big Oak Road, Knightdale, NC 27545
- Turning Point (919-781-8161) - 4922A Windy Hill Drive, Raleigh, NC 27609
- Sigma Health Services (919-848-9108) - 8368 Six Forks Road, Suite 102, Raleigh, NC 27615
- Durham Child Development and Behavioral Health Clinic (919-668-4497) - 402 Trent Drive, Durham, NC 27705
Students and parents may opt to seek the services of an outside provider. You may contact the Office of Student Due Process to request the outside provider packet. The completed application must be returned to the Office of Student Due Process by the third day of the suspension for approval.
All forms for enrollment into ACE must be obtained from your principal.
If there are any problems or concerns with one of the pre-approved ACE providers, please contact the Office of Student Due Process at 919-533-7761 or email@example.com.
For more information see Board Policy R&P 6410, B.